Recently launched in South Africa – IMMUENZA for immune support
Winter is here and the relationship between stress and decreased immune function is well known. Stress can increase our chances of developing the common cold and upper respiratory infections. The solution is to counteract this negative effect of stress on our immune system (1) and a solution is now available.
Recently launched by Adcock Ingram, IMMUENZA effervescent tablets contain β1,3/1,6 Glucans or beta glucans which in layman’s terms is baker’s yeast. Beta glucans are naturally occurring substances which have been shown to provide protection against infection and they are known to activate the entire immune system. A daily supplement of beta glucan may reduce the incidence of symptoms associated with upper respiratory tract infections, reduce the number of days with cold and flu symptoms.(1,2) Allergy sufferers also benefit from a daily supplement of beta glucan which improves allergy symptoms as well as overall health and well-being. (3)
Infections, especially upper respiratory tract infections are common in early childhood because of a child’s narrower airways, developing lungs and developing immune systems. Giving a child a daily supplement of beta glucans may decrease the incidence and severity of infectious illnesses in children during the cold and flu season. (4)
Strenuous exercise can also increase the probability of upper respiratory symptoms and the good news for marathon runners is that a clinical trial has shown that sportsmen and women taking a daily dose of beta glucan, reported fewer cold symptoms, better health and increased stamina. (5,6)
IMMUENZA is available in an adult as well as a child formulation (for children of 3 years and older) effervescent tablets are flavoured, and sugar and tartrazine free. The choice of flavours for the IMMUENZA ADULTS, are lime or tropical flavour and children have the choice of orange or strawberry flavoured IMMUENZA KIDS tablets. Both the adult and children’s tablets should be dissolved in a glass of water and taken once a day. (7,8)
IMMUENZA ADULTS and IMMUENZA KIDS effervescent tablets are available at most pharmacies, Dischem nationwide, Checkers Medirite and Clicks.
For more information contact Busisiwe Mthimkulu at Adcock Ingram on 011 635 0763
IMMUENZA ADULTS Each effervescent tablet contains 250mg beta 1,3/1,6 glucan.
IMMUENZA KIDS Each effervescent tablet contains 35mg beta 1,3/1,6 glucan.
Adcock Ingram Limited. Reg. No. 1949/034385/06. Private Bag X69, Bryanston, 2021, South Africa. Tel. +27 11 635 0000 www.adcock.com
- Talbott S, Talbott J. Beta 1,3/1,6 glucan decreases upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and improves psychological wellbeing in moderate to highly-stressed subjects. AgroFood industry hi-tech. 2010;21(1):21-24
- Fuller R, Butt H et al. Influence of yeast-derived 1,3/1,6 glucopolysaccharide on circulating cytokines and chemokines with respect to upper respiratory tract infections. Nutrition 2012;28:665–669
- Talbott S, Talbott J et al. b-Glucan supplementation, allergy symptoms, and quality of life in self-described ragweed allergy sufferers. 2012 The Authors. Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc
- Meng F. Baker’s Yeast Beta-Glucan Decreases Episodes of Common Childhood Illness in 1 to 4 Year Old Children during Cold Season in China. J Nutr Food Sci 2016;6(4): http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2155-9600.1000519
- McFarlin B, Carpenter K. Baker’s Yeast Beta Glucan Supplementation Increases Salivary IgA and Decreases Cold/Flu Symptomatic Days after Intense Exercise. Journal of Dietary Supplements, EarlyOnline 2013:1–13
- Talbott S, Talbott J. Effect of BETA 1, 3/1, 6 GLUCAN on upper respiratory tract infection symptoms and mood state in marathon athletes. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 2009;8:509-515
- IMMUENZA ADULTS package insert April 2017
- IMMUENZA KIDS package insert April 2017
Immuenza – Consumer press release
23 June 2017